Types of Tanning Lotion for Indoor Tanning
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Tanning Lotions and other Tanning Beds topics.
What are the different kinds of tanning bed lotions and what do they do?
The best tanning bed lotion is the kind recommended by industry professionals. Don't be fooled by cheap tanning lotion or end-of-season discount tanning lotion - you may be paying for outdated products. Always buy tanning bed lotions from your salon or tanning bed retailer to be sure you are buying a quality product. MasterTanning, a retailer of SunVision tanning beds and wholesale tanning lotion, has some useful information about the different types of tanning salon lotions available to help you achieve that bronzed look:
- Sunless tanning lotion creates a chemical change on the skin with dihydroxyacetone, or DHA. It combines with your natural amino acids to produce temporary color on the skin. Self-tanning lotion should not be confused with an airbrush (or spray on) tan, which temporarily colors the skin for a short period of time.
- Bronzers work like makeup and come in a powder or lotion. Some contain DHA and will tan the skin the same way as sunless tanning lotions.
- Indoor tanning lotion refers to products that do one or more of the following: moisturize the skin, develop your tan, and/or prevent sunburn.
- Tanning oil usually contains grapeseed oil, coconut oil, and/or sesame oil, along with other ingredients. They are thought to provide anti-aging properties and protection from the sun. If you use tanning oil, be sure to purchase products specific to indoor or outdoor use. Sunscreen can be applied to the skin before using oils if they don't already contain an SPF factor. Always follow manufacturer and salon recommendations when using tanning oil.
- Sunblock blocks the rays of the sun and will prevent a tan.
- Sunscreen can help you tan without getting a burn. Look for an SPF number in tanning lotion products if you want protection. The higher the SPF number, the more protection you will have from burning.
- Some types of tanning lotions are for tanning beds only. Do not confuse outdoor products with indoor tanning bed lotions - indoor lotions are only meant to be used in tanning beds and may not protect your skin from an outdoor sunburn.