Seasonal Affective Disorder
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Seasonal Affective Disorder and other Tanning Beds topics.
What is seasonal affective disorder?
Here are some seasonal affective disorder facts and information:
- What causes seasonal affective disorder? It has been theorized that the shorter days of winter and decreased levels of exposure to sunlight increases melatonin levels in people.
- The symptoms of seasonal affective disorder can be emotionally, physically, and psychologically devastating.
- Symptoms include lethargy, increased desire to sleep, carbohydrate cravings, mood swings, social problems, anxiety, and depression.
- Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays can alleviate the symptoms of seasonal affective disorder.
- Seasonal affective disorder treatment is given by using seasonal affective disorder lamps. Light therapy for seasonal affective disorder (phototherapy) involves sitting in front of a special lamp, or light box, to create a biochemical change in the brain to normalize melatonin levels.
- Many people find relief by regularly using home or salon tanning beds.
- Always consult your physician if you think you may have seasonal affective disorder or any other type of disorder.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.